“An infant car seat is an easy and safe way to move your baby around the big world”
“Best Infant Car Seat” One of the most important jobs you do as a parent is to keep your child safe when your child rides in the car. Every year, thousands of young children are killed or injured in car accidents. The proper use of safe car seats helps keep children safe. But because there are so many different seats in the market, many parents find this confusing.
Shopping for a newborn is a strange combination of bliss and stress. Do you want the unimaginable socks and pajamas? Fun! Buying your baby’s first car seat? Not so much.
The best infant car seat is one of the foremost essential items of the baby equipment you will need as a new parent. If you will take your little one with you in your car, this is a must and most hospitals won’t empty you without it. But with so many different models and a lot of pressure to choose the safest flight for your little one, deciding which model to select can be a big decision.
- 1 When do you need the car seat:
- 2 Best infant & baby car seats
- 3 Best Infant Car Seat Size & Age:
- 4 1# Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat
- 5 2# Britax B-Safe 35 For Taller babiesBest Safety Infant Car Seat
- 6 3# Doona car seat & stroller:Most innovative & versatile car seat
- 7 4# UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat Best most comfortable install car seat
- 8 5# Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30 Infant Car Seat
- 9 6# Graco SnugRide 35 XT Infant Car Seat Best Affordable car seat
- 10 7# Evenflo LiteMax DLX Infant Car Seat Best safe infant car seat
- 11 8#Baby TREND EZ Flex-Loc Infant Car Seat Baby Trend Car Seat
- 12 9#Cybex Gold Eternis S All in 1 Convertible, Toddler, Baby Infant Car Seat:Cybex Infant Car Seat
- 13 10# Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Car Seat: Best Rated & Safest Infant Car Seat
- 14 Factors to consider
- 14.1 Safety
- 14.2 Ease of use
- 14.3 Functionality
- 14.4 Compatibility with your car
- 14.5 Comfort
- 14.6 Tips for selection
- 14.7 Safety Tips
- 14.8 Best Infant Car Seat: Commonly asked questions
- 14.9 Q:1 How long can a baby use an infant car seat?
- 14.10 Q:2 What is the weight limit for an infant car seat?
- 14.11 Q:3 Are Britax car seats worth the money?
- 14.12 Q:4 What is the best infant car seat and why?
- 14.13 Q:5 How do I choose a baby car seat?
- 14.14 Q:6 How do I choose the best infant car seat for your kid?
- 15 Infant car seat VS Convertible car seat:
- 16 Final verdict:
When do you need the car seat:
The American Academy of pediatric( APP) recommends that all infants ride rear-facing starting on the first ride home from the hospital. All infants and young children must ride in a rear-facing seat until they reach the highest weight or height the vehicle safety seat manufacturer allows. Most convertible seats have limits that allow children to ride rear-facing for 2 years or more. When babies are older than the rear-facing seat only, the convertible seat needs to be installed in the rear-facing. All parents can benefit from getting installation assistance from CPST to ensure their child’s seat is installed correctly.
Our Top-Rated Baby Car Seats:
Last update on 2022-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best infant & baby car seats
Best Infant Car Seat Size & Age:
|Age + Size||Type of Car Seat + Location & Direction|
|Newborn to 2 Years OR Less Than 40 Pounds||Rear-Facing Car Seat|
|Ages 2-4 OR More than 40 Pounds||Forward-Facing Car Seat|
|Ages 4-8 OR Less than 4 Feet 9 Inches Tall||Booster Seats in Back Seats Only|
|ges 8 and Up OR More than 4 Feet 9 Inches Tall||Booster Seat if Needed|
Chicco KeyFit is one of the most popular baby car seats among the members of the What to Expect community and won 2019 What to Expect award. Installation is extremely simple mom and child safety technician (CPST) Sylvia Fallas told us she installed this seat in less than 30 seconds! You can’t mess around while lying down because of the built-in level.
The Chicco KeyFit is a bit heavy compared to some of the other infant car seats, but that rarely stops safety-conscious parents from choosing this model. It’s suitable for babies who are up to 30 pounds or 30 inches tall.
America’s number 1 infant car seat!
- Easier to install with Recline Sure Screed, Right Bubble Level Ride, and Super Cinch LATCH sealing
Designed for use in a travel system with compatible Chicco strollers (sold separately).
- Removable newborn head and body braces. Infants are from 4 to 30 pounds and up to 30 inches in length.
- 5-point harness with easy-to-pull pull. 2- Position carrying handle with comfortable grip; Maximum product height when sitting: 19.5 in.
- Removable head and body support that accommodates newborns and smaller babies.
- KeyFit 30 Zip Features a zip-off canopy with a zip-on visor to provide shade and zip-up shoes to keep the baby warm.
- The 5-point harness can be tightened with only one hand for a comfortable fit with less effort.
- The double lever LATCH taut helps achieve a secure, secure fit with less effort.
Many customers noted that this seat is on the heavy side. However, it is without a doubt a parent’s favorite in the car seat department.
2# Britax B-Safe 35 For Taller babiesBest Safety Infant Car Seat
Britax is understood for going above and beyond in safety testing for its seats — although all car seats on the market must pass minimum safety standards, Britax seats go through the most stringent side-impact testing. It’s generally more expensive than KeyFit, and it looks like it.
This seat is excellent in all respects, with extremely easy-to-use LATCH connectors, an integrated seat belt lock, an extremely comfortable carrying handle, and other classy features.
It has similar crash ratings to the one the Chicco KeyFit 30 has, and it’s also easy and straightforward to secure in the car. Like the KeyFit, the B-Safe has a seat belt lock to ensure the fastening stays tight, plus a level indicator that tells you if the seat is at the right angle.
While the B-Safe lacks clear and well-placed installation instructions like the ones on KeyFit, we found it easier to click in and out of its base than with that seat. B-Safe has an upper limit on weight and height, but the seat interior is much narrower and more profound.
Surrounded by SAFETY:Side-impact protection layer, steel frame, shock-absorbing bottom
Ease of installation:Use the secure center latch or the integrated seat belt lock to secure the infant car seat
Relaxing and Reclining:Lying up with the help of spring and indicators ensures the best angle to hold the vehicle
Travel system ready:Compatible with all Britax strollers using built-in adapters and with all BOB Single and Duallie strollers (adapter sold separately)
Fits:Rear-facing 4 to 35lbs, Seat Area 13D, 8.75“; Dimensions are 17.75 ” wide x 25 ” high x 26.5 ” high
3# Doona car seat & stroller:Most innovative & versatile car seat
If you travel a lot, consider investing in this car seat — it easily converts into a pram (the only one of its kind!). You can also pull on the wheels, place them on the floor, and use it as a rocking chair.
The stroller is small and easy to maneuver even if you only have one hand, which is comfortable when you are traveling in crowds or your hands are full. It folds easily and attaches to the base of the car seat, which you can leave in the car.
Since it is certified for air travel, you will have the option to take the seat on board rather than checking it at the gate. As a bonus, the removable fabric makes it easy to wash.
- A complete travel system in one convenient unit
- A full-featured car seat with a stroller for quick and easy mobility
- Babies safely hold 4 to 35 pounds and grow up to 32 inches tall
- 5-point adjustable seat belt
- Backward facing when used as a car seat and stroller
- Collapsible for easy portability and storage
- Includes infant cradle and supports newborns
- Padded / adjustable head support
- Thick bumper pad for safety and comfort
- 3 layers of side impact protection
- EPS Energy-Absorbing Foam
- The adjustable handle doubles as an anti-recoil bar for added safety
- Car seat latch base and protector included
- The easy-to-use mounting system prevents improper vehicle installation
- It attaches to the vehicle with the LATCH connector system or the three-point seat belt
- Machine Washable Fabric (Cold)
4# UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat Best most comfortable install car seat
Manufactured using premium quality materials without flame retardant chemicals (!!), this seat is one of the safest options out there. The plinth includes a light that provides visual confirmation that you have successfully closed the seat, with or without the LATCH system.
It is also easy to install with or without the base, making it convenient if you use public transportation. Suitable for infants from 4 to 35 pounds and up to 32 inches high Includes an infant insert, wedge position, and low strap Recommended for newborns and newborns 4 to 8 pounds A holder weighing less than 10 pounds Carrier fabrics Soft, breathable, and wicking moisture keeps Baby cooler and comfortable adjustable headrest with side impact protection.
This seat has great reviews, but some complaints about the large sticker on the seat where the child’s back is. And many customers mentioned that the seat is too heavy.
- Smart, secure installs in seconds
- Adjustable headrest with side impact protection
- Attaches directly to VISTA and CRUZ strollers without adapters
- UPF cache canopy
- The seat fabric is easily removable and washable
Coming down to the list Maxi Cosi Mico Max 30 infant car seat has safety features included patented technology that provides side impact protection to keep your baby’s head safe. It also has a fixed leg that prevents the rotation from protecting the head and neck from excessive movement.
It has an easily removable seat cushion that does not require you to untwist the seat belt. The fabric that absorbs moisture is machine washable and dry-safe. Parents say this lightweight option is easy to carry around in and out of vehicles.
This lightweight baby car seat design has won over many parents. Also good? It’s compatible with many strollers that use Maxi-Cosi adapters. “I absolutely love it,” he says what to expect from a HereWeGo5 parent.
As the name suggests, Mico Max is safe for babies up to 30 lbs.
- Rear-facing from 5 to 30 lbs. To 32 inches and includes a comfortable, adjustable vehicle seat base.
- Fully compatible with Maxi-Cosi and many other premium branded baby strollers.
- One of the lightest luxury infant car seats available.
- Fabrics remove foul odors and remove liquids from the skin.
- Easily removable material for cleaning.
6# Graco SnugRide 35 XT Infant Car Seat Best Affordable car seat
This car seat still provides a lot of benefits. It’s lightweight, and a lot of parents care about the brand’s Click Connect technology, which eliminates installation errors, as you’ll hear a click when done correctly.
The Graco SnugRide SnugLock 35 LX with TrueShield technology features a hassle-free installation using a car seat belt or latch. TrueShield Technology helps protect rear-facing infants from 4-35 lb and up to 32″.
You can use this infant car seat until your baby is 35 pounds or 32 inches long. Given its affordability, it also enables you to invest in a long-term fancier option at a later time.
It is easy to install and adjust to four different positions to suit your child’s size and comfort level. Parents say the harness is safe and easy to adjust, but it’s not the most comfortable seat in terms of material or cushion.
- Adjust the handle with one hand, and leave the other hand free.
- The silent shade canopy can be adjusted easily and quietly without disturbing the child.
- InRight latch system for one-second LATCH attachment.
- An adjustable base with 4 customization modes allows you to fit your vehicle; Engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed US FMVSS 213 standard.
- The easy-to-read level indicator helps eliminate guesswork about installation.
7# Evenflo LiteMax DLX Infant Car Seat Best safe infant car seat
Evenflo is a value brand with seats that perform very well, comparable to Graco seats but are less expensive overall. Evenflo is a car seat brand that doesn’t get as much attention as others, but the company makes great car seats that are typically less expensive than similar seats.
We love this seat’s premium bottom anchor LATCH connectors, which are a lot easier to use than the inexpensive hooks on some seats, and the seat comes with a footbed that’s useful if you use the seat in the colder months.
But the identifying feature here is SensorSafe, a small tool that you plug into an outlet in your car that connects to your seat boot clip. When you turn off the car, it beeps to remind you that your child is in the seat to prevent accidental deaths from hot car accidents. It also coordinates if your child loosens the chest strap.
The Evenflo LiteMax 35 infant car seat is easy to install and professionally designed. They are designed and tested to meet or exceed all federal safety standards.
The good:Evenflo is known as a value brand with seats that perform very well, comparable to Graco seats but are less expensive overall.
The best part:SensorSafe is one among the few easy-to-use systems on the market that allows you to know if you have ever left your baby within the car — and if you have an escape artist on your hand, the warning signal for premature ejaculation is invaluable.
EASY TO INSTALL:The LiteMax 35 infant car seat is designed with an easy-to-fit base with a two-step car seat belt lock, allowing for a safe and fast installation. It also offers 4 tilt options to improve comfort.
Versatile and Comfortable:Our new baby car seat includes a comfortable stay in car base that makes things simple for parents. It’s a rear-facing infant car seat that fits newborns and babies from 4 to 35 pounds and 17 to 32 inches long.
Parent-friendly features: Evenflo baby seats have buckle pockets that fold away buckle tabs for easy loading and unloading, removable body and head cushions for improved comfort, washable cushions for simple cleaning, and more.
Trusted for nearly 100 years: Evenflo has been a trusted source for quality built baby safety systems for nearly 100 years. The photorealistic design of each of our products is designed for everyday use.
8#Baby TREND EZ Flex-Loc Infant Car Seat Baby Trend Car Seat
The Baby Trend EZ Flex-Loc is one of the least expensive options in our review, but there’s a lot more to like about this secure, wallet-friendly seat more than just the low price.
Flex-Loc is a straightforward option that is easy to install using two methods, including baseless mounting, which is a good thing because it is also lightweight and a potential contender for travel or commuting.
- 5-point adjustable seat belt
- 4- Place push-button adjustable base height
- Seat release is easily accessible with one hand
- EPS Energy-Absorbing Foam for superior side impact protection
- Soft carry handle, won’t scratch your arm
- Soft head support
- EZ Flex-Loc refers to the flexible (non-rigid) base latch belts
9#Cybex Gold Eternis S All in 1 Convertible, Toddler, Baby Infant Car Seat:Cybex Infant Car Seat
The CYBEX Gold Eternis S car seat and SensorSafe ™ integrate important safety technology into the chest strap clip to alert when unsafe situations arise. Alerts are provided through the car’s receiver and smartphone to the caregiver to ensure children’s safety in a range of hazardous situations.
Additionally, the seat with SensorSafe offers a fully-tilted exterior, docking station, and patented side-impact protection. The result is a unique new combination of exceptional security and a new n travel system for superior safety inside and outside the vehicle.
The CYBEX Eternis S Car Seat with sensor safe All-in-One Sensor provides 10 years of use in one easy-to-use package – making it the only car seat your child will need, from birth onwards.
The Eternis S offers 3 stages of protection – a rear-facing infant seat weighing up to 50 pounds, a forward-facing seat convertible, then as a belt-positioning seat that lasts through your child’s first 10 years.
- A convertible car seat designed to grow with your child from 5 to 65 lbs. Seat tilt position adjusts to multiple positions so your child can safely ride front-facing up to 65 pounds and backward up to 50 pounds
- Keep the baby safe with a 5-point seat belt and side-impact linear protection. Linear side impact protection system absorbs up to 25% more impact
- The height-adjustable headrest with 12 positions provides comfortable protection as your child grows. Reclining the headrest prevents sleeper heads from falling forward outside of the headrest safety zone
- Ease of Cleaning: The removable cup holder can be placed on either side and is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. The fabric cover is machine washable for minimal maintenance.
- Use this car seat the back-front from birth (about 4 pounds) to 50 pounds
- Forward-facing from 22 to 65 lbs
- As a booster to position the belt from 40 to 120 lbs
10# Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Car Seat: Best Rated & Safest Infant Car Seat
Do you know why most people prefer Graco products? Because they are really worth the money. Most importantly, their products are durable and strong. Although the price is quite high but always bear in mind. Child safety should be the top priority.
Now let’s talk about some of its features:
Front and back facing harness: It has 4 modes of use. Rear-facing 1.8kg to 18kg weight. Forward-facing weighing approx. 10kg to 30kg. It can also transform into a high back and high back booster.
6 reclining positions: This is the only car seat with a 6-position recline. This means changing the angle of the seat and making your child more comfortable. It is easy to set the position with just one hand. It has 10 headrests.
Stronger and durability: Good quality product with headrest and strap fastened together. It has a steel-reinforced frame that ensures maximum impact absorption and keeps your baby safe. It meets all US safety standards.
Factors to consider
Selecting a model a huge task. Huge because you have to be keen on details and look for the exact specifications you are looking for. Some people have been duped into buying models, which ended up not being effective simply because instead of considering the specifications, they considered the brand. A big brand with a huge price tag does not always equate to quality and effectiveness. You want a car seat which will work for you, do yourself a favor and look out for your preferred specifications.
The safety of your baby is the ultimate factor to consider because you do not want anything to happen to your little munchkin. The good news is that in some countries, there are some safety standards that baby car seats must qualify which is a great start.
Ease of use
A user friendly model makes life easier because of the less complications it brings. Looking for a user friendly car seat is extremely important when you consider that at some point, a relative or nanny might be left with the baby. It will be absolutely daunting to have a model that a caretaker finds complicating to use, which will affect your baby by extension. To prove the ease of use, you can try buckling and unbuckling, releasing the seat and putting it back and trying other functions to just see how easy it will be.
How does it work? How do I buckle baby up and how do I get her out. The overall functionality will determine the kind of model that carries the day. Look out for the base/carrier attachment, the shape of the carrier handle and its compactness which ascertains the functionality of the infant car seat. Get practical and try it out. For instance, try the carrier buckle to prove its effectiveness and avoid disappointments later on. Checking the full functionality of the buckle is important to avoid getting one which gets hard to open causing more than inconveniences. Checking the functionality of the parts are a step in the right direction to ensuring the safety of the baby.
Compatibility with your car
Trust me, you do not want to buy a model that will not fit in your car. They require space and it is important to ensure that the one you get will be accommodated in the back space of your car.
The baby car seat should be comfortable for both the mother and the baby. Importantly for the baby because of the time they will spend on it while on transit. Ensure that the fabric used in the manufacturing is comfortable for the baby. You should also try to carry it around to see how comfortable it gets when carrying it and how manageable it is.
Tips for selection
- As much as possible, strive to buy a new model. Costly as it may be, save to buy a new one from the stores. Why do you need a brand new product when you can buy a second hand one from your neighbor at a subsidized cost? Well, technology is fast changing and gadgets are being improved and customized further to suit the evolving world. Besides, you can never be sure of the real condition of it. People sell things for varied reasons, one of them being a way to dispose them.
- Specifically, buy a rear facing model which is best for infants and is easily portable.
- Read your vehicles manual first before going for the buying excursion to know exactly where the car seat will be placed and how it will be fixed. This will help in choosing a model that is compatible with your vehicle.
- Know the size of your back space. If possible, even measure it to ensure it accommodates your car. For instance, your small car will not fit a model with a large base.
- Choose one that comes with a manual which explains in pictures. If you have a choice to, please opt for a manual with explanatory photos. You will be surprised how the photos will help you a great deal.
- Choose one with an easy to clean fabric. Minor food incidences like spillages are bound to occur occasionally. An easy to clean fabric will be convenient since all that is required will be wiping which is a quick fix to minor incidents.
- Make sure the strap adjusters are easily accessible. God forbid should anything happen, you want to be able to unbuckle up faster and swiftly to save the baby.
- Look for a model with two- piece retainer clips. Babies can be experimental at times and can unbuckle themselves up in the process of discovering. The beauty of the two- piece retainer clips is that they are hard for babies to unfasten.
- After purchasing it, keep the receipt well because you never know what can happen, forcing you to exchange it.
- Upon installation, it is mandatory to take it for inspection to have the peace of mind of fixing it right.
- Do not use a baby car seat in a forward facing position.
- Read the instructions. Some people hate going through manuals and prefer second guessing, or go by the fake it till you make it mantra. However, for the sake of the baby, carefully go through the instructions to make sure it is secure.
- Completely tighten the straps. A loose strap is likely to cause an accident because of the frequent movements it can cause which even results in head injuries. Ensure the straps are well tightened, but not too tight to hurt the baby.
- Place the chest clip between the nipples and sternum. This helps to hold the straps in place so as to hold the baby well.
- Ensure the strap is flat and well placed. By all means, take your time to make sure the straps are well straightened. Twist them if you have to, to get them straight and avoid the consequences of weakening them. Ensure the straps go to the right slots.
- Ensure the seat is well reclined. A baby’s organs are still weak to fully support themselves. Slightly recline the car seat at a 45 degree angle to avoid the baby being stressed and to help the neck be able to support the head. This 45 degrees reclination also helps protect the infant’s spine, which is still weak at that point in life. An upright model makes the head of the baby fall down to their chest, which can cause difficulties in breathing.
- The seat should be tight enough. Should you try moving the seat, it shouldn’t move more than an inch.
- Do not add other details to the seat. You can call it customizing your it to make it more personal but you should not really add any other accessories that did not come along with the car seat.
- Get help should you doubt your skills. Second guessing on your baby’s car seat will not be the best idea because you do not want to play the Russian roulette with your infant’s life. You are better off calling your manufacturer or the store where you bought it from to get the prompt response.
- Above all, do not leave your baby unsupervised. In case you happen to be driving alone with the baby, use your front mirror and always throw glances at the baby to ensure they are not any strained. Try by all means to always have a caretaker with you when driving with the baby.
Best Infant Car Seat: Commonly asked questions
Q:1 How long can a baby use an infant car seat?
A: The main problem with children sitting in a car seat for a long time is that their head is deformed, leading to problems later on. Therefore, unless this is inevitable, do not keep newborns in a car seat for long periods.
Q:2 What is the weight limit for an infant car seat?
A: Read the manual for the specific car seat. Convertible car seats generally have higher rear-facing limits than only infant seats, but this is not the case globally. Remember, it is best to return the face to at least 2 and ideally closer to
Q:3 Are Britax car seats worth the money?
A: A Britax car seat or travel systems like Britax B Agile or other types of convertible car seats are quite pricey, as we created. However, it is well worth the money. They have some of the best side-impact protection, are easy to install, and when it comes to the pros and cons, the pluses far outweigh them.
Q:4 What is the best infant car seat and why?
A: Baby car seats range in price from fifty to hundreds of dollars. You must realize that being more expensive does not always mean being safer. The only way to truly determine how safe a stroller chair is is to check reviews made by various consumer groups.
Q:5 How do I choose a baby car seat?
I recommend spending some time making sure you understand what type of car seat will suit your child, then check product reviews from various sources to find the best option for you.
Here are some tips:
- The back seat is the safest place for our kids to ride. Even after your children get older than their car seats, the safest place for them to ride in a car is the back seat. Children under the age of 13 are advised to ride in the back seat.
- Consider the type of strap. Car seats generally come with either a 3-point or 5-point belt system. This simply means how many belts will fit your child.
- Consider side-impact protection of the seat. In general, product reviews will tell you how well or not the side impact car seat protector. Check out this feature when looking at your product reviews.
Q:6 How do I choose the best infant car seat for your kid?
In order to choose the best car seat for your kid, you need to ensure:
Fits your child
Fits your car
It is the one you will use correctly every time!
Infant car seat VS Convertible car seat:
Rear-facing/Infant car seats:
Infant car seats are typically used from birth through about 9 months, although they can be up to 6 months or up to 18 – while the maximum seat weight is 30 pounds, you will probably want to stop using them. The time when the weight of the child and the seat together becomes too much to bear. At this point, it is time to switch to a convertible.
- Use for infants up to 22 to 35 pounds and 26 to 35 inches in diameter, depending on the model.
- Small in size and has to carry handles.
- It usually comes with a base that can be left in the car. The seat clicks in and out of the base so, you don’t have to fasten the seat every time you use it. Parents can buy quite one base for additional vehicles.
- It should be used for the baby’s travel.
Convertible car seat:
The word “convertible” refers to the fact that these seats can be fitted either rear-facing or forward-facing. Whereas the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends keeping your child facing backward for at least the age of two. For babies around 1-year-old, convertible seats may provide some additional protection on a baby seat in protecting the baby’s head.
- The convertible car seat can be used, then later ‘switched’ to front-facing for older children when they exceed the weight limit or the maximum length of the backhand. This means that your child can use the seat for a longer period.
- However, convertible seats are larger than infant seats, do not come with separate carry handles or footprints, and are designed to stay in the vehicle.
- Many have higher rear-facing weight limits (up to 40-50 pounds) and height than those of aft-only, a feature that makes convertible seats ideal for toddlers and young children.
- Attach a 5-point harness at the shoulders, hips, and between the legs.
- It should be used for the baby’s travel.
Sometimes convertible car seats also convert into a booster seat, which is the next stage in the advancement of a car seat for your child. Booster seats should be used so that your child can safely wear a seat belt.
Once you get the car seat, be sure to test it in your car. We are highly recommended Graco 4 Ever 4in 1 convertible car seat because it has all-in-one features. Most important, child safety. This seat is solid and durable, especially in crash tests.